Watching videos in the seminars also made me think more about the development of my idea and helped me think of more abstract pieces as I felt that I struggled with thinking of something completely abstract as I worried it wouldn't make sense. I took most inspiration from contemporary abstract pieces.
The first piece was Star Guitar by The Chemical Brothers.
http://vimeo.com/1255501
What struck me about this piece was the pace of the images and that they matched the sound exactly and each image represented a piece of the sound. In my piece I really wanted to focus on pace to build up tension and using colours as a way to express pace each time the characters emotion changes and considering the character is paranoid I thought this would work really well. This piece is also abstract so it helped me think about how to set my piece out in terms of narrative. It made me think about the pace of the piece too and that should be something important to focus on if I continue to use abstraction.
Telling Lies by Simon Ellis.
http://vimeo.com/19974262
I had a really similar idea to this piece of work. I thought about using words on screen to show what the characters really feeling which juxtaposes the "normal" sounds in my piece such as the coffee shop. What this piece does is show the conversation on screen but changes words to show what the character is really thinking even though he's lying on the phone. I really liked this idea to show real emotions and how they contrast from what you hear. It works well with the theme of paranoia as the character is going to be feeling quite expressive emotions when he's paranoid even though the sounds around him are "normal" to most people. I think this will work well with the use of colour and pace in the film.
Tunnel Vision by Pejk Malinovski.
This piece really made me think about the depth of my sounds in my audio piece as the sounds were really distinctive and strange. Most of the sounds were really unusual and distorted which I thought worked really well within this piece. I took this into my own project thinking about how I can make paranoia into a sound that stands out. I really wanted it to sound "other worldly" like the sounds in this piece. I thought also about panning the sound in the paranoid stage so it came through one channel like the sounds travelling. Overall, this piece really inspired me to think about what I could make paranoia sound like. I thought it would sound weird and twisted and like it's not human. This piece has a really strong sci-fi like effect which I really liked.
No comments:
Post a Comment