Monday, 25 November 2013

Soundscape idea.

The place I want to record is a real place, inside the mind of a paranoid person. I would like to record mainly in outside and/or public places as if the character is forcing himself to go there.

The sounds I thought made up that kind of environment were all to do with being atmospheric.
For example: Distorted sounds, breathing, heartbeats, heavy air and extremes.
I thought this because as the character is paranoid of the environment he's in the sounds will be more apparent to him. It will also make the audience know it's paranoia.
During the characters journey, the sounds become louder as he becomes more afraid of his surroundings. To show his emotion we'll use heartbeats over the sound to show panic. It will start off almost tranquil with peaceful sounds such as birds and wind and it will gradually build up to a climax where then the sound will cut out leaving the audience questioning the ending. E.g. Has he overcome paranoia? I think this will make the piece more have more focus and work well when making an experimental film.
What I want to say about the places in the piece is that we should be more aware of our surroundings and the people in them - everyone is going through something which could be affecting them and paranoia is something that can completely change a place that is so "normal".
I want people and ambient sounds to build up the piece as something triggering. The character feels scared of people as if they're all out to get him. So by using loud sounds of people talking and distort them it will give a really strong sense of paranoia.

The focus of the sound scape is "sense of place".

I started thinking of a few initial ideas such as:
- wanting to use flashbacks
- over exaggerated sound e.g. really quiet/loud
- more about the atmosphere rather than dialogue.
I thought these components would make the audience want to focus on the sound more and think about the theme of the project and provoke reactions and thoughts. I thought of 2 ideas which I developed with my partner and tutor for the project. Through trial and error and looking into other pieces of work we developed a main idea which really works with the brief. 
(I will upload scanned images of my idea process later) 


The idea process:
I first thought about what sense of place means to me.
To me it means either belonging or trying to belong to somewhere that you like.
With this in mind I thought about how other people might struggle in a new place just like my experience with starting university. In a way this is based off my own emotions but dramatised.
I looked into paranoia online and put some key words onto a mind map which helped influence my idea.
Me and my partner talked about how the idea would work too and gave ourselves roles: Jess was the recorder and I was the editor. She test recorded some sounds to me and we put them together as a rough idea to work from and some inspiration.
We met up to discuss our ideas and what was going well which really helped us work well as a team.
Through text messaging we sent any quick ideas that we instantly thought of and also sent links to other pieces of work.
All of this worked within the idea process to create our piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment